Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

8.06.2008

A Tentative Date

We received an email from Dr. Wei, in Houston, today. He has some of Mike's recent records and has reviewed them, but he has yet to receive the latest CT CD. Dr. Wei is only the assistant to the liver surgeon at MD Anderson. The surgeon is still on vacation. Dr. Wei couldn't say whether they would be able to help with biliary surgery, or resecting the liver of the tumor, but he said we would need to come in person to consult, either way. So, the date being set aside right now is August 20-22th. We're to be contacted in the next day or so with a schedule, which might include an extra day, before these dates, for lab and their own testing.

We're grateful to have an opportunity to seek more help, but it hasn't been that long ago, we were rejected from them, so we're having mixed feelings tonight. Mike has been down since this email. He quickly lost the energy he had earlier today. Earlier, he had even taken off the oxygen just to walk a couple of laps inside our home. I saw the warrior in his eyes for a brief time today and I realized how much I missed him. I want him back so desperately. The look I see tonight frightens me to the core. If a heart can break, mine is trying to. I'm using every ounce of faith, strength, and trust I have to keep strong for both of us, but I feel I'm reaching a breaking point. I'm just so tired.

We have a new problem to figure the way around. With Mike on oxygen, we're trying to figure out how we're going to get to Houston. We have tickets being given to us to fly there from my sister and her husband, but Mike's worried about delays at the airport, etc. Our portable tanks last only 4 hours, and they are large and bulky. Then once in Houston, we're concerned what we're suppose to use there. This is all so new to us and an added burden. Of course, it would be easier if Mike was able to be weaned from the oxygen before the trip. This morning, it looked possible. Mike seemed like himself, chatting with our son Matt. This evening, I saw the same man I saw last night that made me think he needed to be back in the hospital.

*We're praising God for His daily presence in our lives.
*We're praising God for so many thoughtful and loving friends and family who continue to show their love for us, and who think about us and offer their help and encouragement.
*We're praising God that Mike felt a little better today.
*We're praising God for the contact and invitation from MD Anderson.

Please pray for continued strength and complete healing for Mike.
Please pray an answer might be at MD Anderson for us.
Please pray that this issue with his oxygen, might be resolved before the trip.
Please pray for God to be Lord over our hearts and mind.
Please pray that we can continue to be a light that points to our Savior.

If there ever was a true love story, my life has been one with Mike. I have been so blessed to have Mike as my husband and my hearts desire is to watch our children grow old and our grandchildren grow up together. I don't need to be rich, or accomplished. I just want to continue holding hands with my best friend.

"I pray to You, O Lord, in the time of Your favor; in Your great love. O God, answer me with Your sure salvation. Rescue me from the mire, do not let me sink; deliver me from those who hate me, from the deep waters. Do not let the floodwaters engulf me or the depths swallow me up or the pit close its mouth over me. Answer me, O Lord, out of the goodness of Your love, in Your great mercy turn to me. Do not hide Your face from Your servant; answer me quickly, for I am in trouble." Psalm 69:131-17

No comments: