Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

8.22.2008

Trusting

Everything is going smoothly as we head in to our last week at home for awhile. Mike has been feeling fairly well, although today he's had a little more pain and discomfort from his right tube tugging some. We have tried to be very cautious in preventing infection there, but obviously having outside tubes is inviting trouble. We cap the right drain only during the day, giving Mike more freedom to move around more easily. The left/center drain has never been any trouble since the tubes were put in, and we were able to cap that one off without any trouble from the start.

I think Mike and I are coming out of our shock, from the decision made at MD Anderson a few days ago, and we're moving now more towards a little apprehension about what is going to take place September 2nd. This will be major surgery, and it is a little frightening taking it all in. We're very grateful we've found help, but the road isn't going to be easy for any of us....for Mike recovering, or for the kids and I waiting to know he's okay. I'm thankful the kids have decided to be with me during the surgery. My sister will also be there.

In a perfect setting, I wish Mike were a little stronger and more on his feet before this surgery, but I'm grateful too, he has made improvements since Baptist. I know he will be in good hands at MD Anderson. My mind is just trying to annoy and frighten me...feeling confident one moment that our deliverance has finally come, to outright fear that things might not go as we had hoped. I immediately know what I need to do to stay focused and trusting, but I still tend to drift into worry from time to time.

Please pray that Mike, the children and I will stay strong, mentally, emotionally and physcially. Please pray God would be Lord over our thoughts and fears. Please pray that we would all safely arrive in Houston, and all the details of our stay would fall easily into place. Please pray that our family who remain behind, will be comforted while we're gone, until we all can be together again.

Mike spoke to his oncologist yesterday about the decision at MD Anderson. Dr. Sneed was so happy to learn it's possible the tumor can be resected and that the biliary reconstruction can take place. They discussed what the course of treatment might be, if everything is successful, and Dr. Sneed thought a couple of more rounds of chemotherapy might be good, just to take care of any stray cancer cells. Even though Mike really isn't looking forward to any more chemotherapy, his dream is to run around the yard again someday with his grandsons. With that kind of motivation...he will do anything it takes!

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike and Beverly,
What an awesome God we serve. I was overjoyed to read the news that the surgery is on. I know that you must have conflicting emotions with the relief that comes from knowing the answer to your prayers has come mixed with worry and concerns that anyone has when facing surgery. The beauty of it is that God is faithful and His Grace is sufficient. I pray for you guys daily. Thank you for the blog.....it helps me to stay in tune with what your prayer needs are at the moment. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
Kim Olson