Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

6.20.2010

Father's Day

I went to church with my son and his family this morning.  The message and music were such a blessing to me.  It always has been.

Today is difficult..in so many ways.  The absence of Mike this year is tremendously painful.  For me.  But most especially for my children.

My daughter was sharing with me yesterday how deeply she misses the energy Mike brought to our family.  He just never would allow the family to put their heads down, and stop moving forward.  He celebrated every moment.  Every relationship.  Every breath of life.  He loved His Savior, and practiced his faith.  Not always perfectly, but persistantly.  He knew God didn't call us out to be perfect, but only to trust Him.

As I was worshiping today, I couldn't help but wonder who my children have now with that example of character? With that spirit? To model for our son-in-law how to continue loving unconditionally, and cherishing his life with our daughter. To show our son how to continue his walk with God, and follow in the footsteps of his father.  And should the pathway ever get blurred, because of deep grief in his heart, or the tears in his eyes.....to follow the footsteps of his Heavenly Father, that would be the compass to keep moving him in the right direction.

I pray God will raise up and strengthen men of character in our lives that can step in the gap for Mike. To help Zac and Matt see the example of giving their all, to pour their heart into what is lasting, and with what means the most, and is important.  

I am so blessed to know many men in our life that can do just this, and I thank them even now, for the comfort they have given to our family.

1 comment:

Jill McSheehy said...

I feel the same way and feel that God will provide men to stand in that gap.

But I also see evidences that Mike's example is continuing and will continue to influence Matt even though it's not being lived out in front of him anymore.

Matt's unconditional love, his unwavering commitment to us, and his sensitivity to our needs is more and more evident every day. Perhaps even more so now than when Mike was here. Mike's example will continue to be before Matt.