Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

5.13.2008

Glimmer of Hope

It was another good day for Mike, this time without requiring him to lie down and get his second wind. He had enough energy to play his drums for awhile this evening, and also grill out for dinner. As I watched him dragging out the charcoal (we do have a gas grill so this was definitely a choice method for Mike) and preparing the meat to be cooked, it hit me that I hadn't done anything to help him. I felt bad at first (distracted by my grandson)...then almost at the same time I had this glimmer of hope that just maybe Mike's old strength was beginning to reappear and my help wasn't necessary.

Mike has already been noting when the next treatment is. I tend to not go there as quickly as he does, so whenever he brings that up, I'm always a little bummed. But, for Mike, he's like a soldier charging towards his target, and once he recoups and gets back to his feet after a treatment, he's ready to charge back into battle and fight some more. I admire him for that! He has taught me so much about strength.

Mike and I have the same goal in mind, and that is to knock this tumor completely out of Mike's liver permanently. I know you stand with us in wanting this same outcome. What would we ever do without all the prayer warriors behind us?!! Thank you for lifting us up daily!

"Praise be to You, the Lord My Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. You are my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield in whom I take refuge. Part Your heavens, O Lord, and come down; touch the mountains, so that they smoke. Send forth lightning and scatter the enemy; shoot Your arrows and rout them. Reach down Your hand from on high; deliver me and rescue me!" Psalm 144:1-2, 5-7

No comments: