Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

6.12.2008

11th Treatment and Doctor Visit

Mike saw his oncologist again this morning and had his 11th chemotherapy treatment. The oncologist was pleased to know Mike was doing well. They discussed when the next CT scan would be ordered and the doctor said it wouldn't be until the end of July. (farther away than we initially thought)

Mike asked about how many treatments would he probably have if the CT showed the tumor was gone. The oncologist mentioned, if the tumor was gone from the CT, then the doctor would probably order another PET scan done, to be certain it didn't show anything either. He also mentioned spreading out Mike's treatments to possibly every 4 weeks, instead of doing them every 3 weeks, if we had to continue with treatments. We really didn't get a firm answer on exactly how many that would be.

The oncologist also offered Mike medication, in addition to the pain medication he's already on, for his Neuropathy...suggesting Lyrica, as possibly one to use, but Mike turned down the offer, saying he felt his pain wasn't bad enough to do that. Of course, I'm always worried Mike is staying quiet with a lot of the pain he feels. I'm just trusting no permanent damage will be done.

I have so many things to ask you to lift up in prayer. So much is coming at our family at one time, it's almost unbelievable. The next few days are going to be even more difficult as out of town family gathers in Florida for a funeral. Please pray God's peace will go with me, and that I can be a blessing to Jaime (my sister).

I will be flying to Florida Sunday evening to attend my stepfather's funeral, which will be Monday afternoon. Mike is going to try and go with me, but usually Sunday and Monday's are his worst days following treatment, and the flight will be lengthy. Please pray, if Mike ends up going with me, protection over him for his health and for our safety. The kids will not be going to the funeral, although Jill (our daughter-in-law) has offered to step in and take Mike's place, if he is unable to go. I know it will take a lot out of Mike to go, but I know he also loved Jim, and wants to be there for me as well. Please pray that Mike's lungs and heart stay clear of any inflammation from today's treatment, that he will not pick up any viruses along the way, and that his Neuropathy pain doesn't increase.

While we're gone, our son, Matt, will be taking a test for a job position here in town on Monday. The test can be difficult, so I pray he won't be so distracted with everything else going on in the family, that he can't focus his attention fully on that. As you already know, he was laid off in January, got a new job in April, and then learned that company was shutting their doors just a few weeks later. It has been an incredibly stressful time for him and his family, and we're praying Matt can find a job here locally, so that he and his family can remain living here, especially given Mike's health situation.

I am deeply grateful for all of your prayers.

"For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever," Psalm 37:28

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With everything coming at us at once, thank you for mentioning Matt as a prayer request. He does need God to grant him a clear mind to take this test and not experience too much anxiety. He is so intelligent - it must be hereditary :) - that I know he'll do well if he can put aside his burdens during his testing. Love, Jill