Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

9.15.2008

Home

At 6 a.m. this morning, Mike and I tried to decide what to do about our situation. Whether to head home or go on to Houston. We kept trying to call the clinic and the Rotary House, but kept receiving no answer. Mike became sick to his stomach and had to lay back down.

I packed the car and tried to call MD Anderson a few times myself, finally getting through to an operator. She flatly told Mike the clinic was closed and everything scheduled, would be cancelled and rescheduled for another time. When Mike tried to explain what the surgeon's assistant had been telling us, he was told it was incorrect information. So, we sat there still trying to figure out what to do. I told Mike I felt we needed to check and see if the Rotary House was opening, and if it was, I felt we just needed to head to Houston and stay there until surgery could be done. So Mike called the Rotary House and reached someone who told him that they would be closed for the rest of the week. We knew the only thing we could do then, was to come home.

As I was driving home, Mike was awakened by two phone calls. One around Texarkana, from the Rotary House, wondering if we were coming in today. (Yep....someone, once again, gave us wrong information.) Then another call came in around Arkadelphia, from MD Anderson telling us to skip the preparation for the surgery this afternoon, that they had cancelled the procedure. (A little delayed)

Mike and I don't understand why so much confusion and trouble is going on to get this procedure done. We have tried so hard to be there when they've asked us to be, and we understand that there have been circumstances there, that have been out of their control. It's just been a difficult journey and we're trying to understand the lesson in all of it. For now, we'll just need to sit and wait for Houston to get back on their feet, and for the surgery to get rescheduled.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." Romans 8:28

No comments: