Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

11.07.2009

Difficulties

(The above photo was taken last year at Christmas)

I wanted to step in this evening and give you my perspective on how things are going with my dad. Most of you know that the last doctor's appointment went very well and we all were pleased with the news that his levels, tubes, and tumor appear to be stable at this time. Though we are overjoyed with that report, my parents and my family are still struggling with the side effects of my dad's illness. His lack of strength, his loss of weight, the development of new bedsores, the difficulty he's had focusing mentally since this summer...all of these aspects of my dad's struggle are still weighing us down.

It's not simply the physical aspects of cancer that can weigh you down, it's the emotional toll it takes on you and your entire family. Missing the life you once had....missing the simple joys of being a family without dealing with such a serious illness....it can wear you down over time. And it's been over two years now. Plus on top of that getting the run around from insurance companies and being denied the coverage you were promised you'd have. It's a complicated situation. On one hand we are so encouraged by the report that all appears to be fairly stable and then on the other hand we see my dad day in and day out and know that he's not rebounding like we pray he will. It has been such a roller-coaster ride.

Thank you to the friends and family who continue to come to this website to support us and pray with us. Please pray for both my mother and my father as they deal with the daily battles of simply going about life. Please pray that my dad will regain strength and weight so that he can do the things he enjoys. Please pray that his mind will become more alert and that he will be able to interact with friends and family the way he desires to. Please pray that somehow, someway the insurance companies will uphold their committments to my parents and that he will be able to receive the treatments he desperately needs. Please pray for my father's complete healing and that the way our family goes through this trial will glorify our Father in heaven.

In Christ,
Amber