Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

11.03.2009

Sonshines Blog..... Another Day!

Everything went smoothly today with Mike's minor procedure.  The stitches are redone now, and hopefully we'll be able to go a long ways on them and not have any leakage.

In describing to the doctor the issue concerning Mike's eyes dripping continous tears in the evening, he told us if the antibiotic eye medication wasn't helping, we need to see an eye doctor to check things out further.  Mike wants to wait it out, of course.

Mike only weighed 120.5 pounds on the clinics scale today. He is eating the best he can, especially when I'm home.  I try to make sure he is eating at least three meals a day, but it's always something with gravy or lots of liquid, that's the easiest for him to swallow.  I'm just going to need to be creative in getting him up and moving on days that I go to work so he doesn't sleep the morning away and skip breakfast.

I recieved some dissappointing news today from one of the insurance situations we're battling with.  There are actually three different insurance policies we're constantly dealing with.....#1 medical insurance (CHIP)  #2 long term disability insurance and #3 Mike's life insurance policy he had originally from Goody's.  The life insurance company is doing everything in their power to dissolve our policy with them...due to Goody's closing.  Of course you can imagine how important this is in our situation.  We have been paying high premiums to convert this policy and keep it.  They have strung us along for over several months now leading us to believe if we just do one more thing....everything will be taken care of. 

Well today, a person returned my call from last week.  I was inquiring why a check of mine hadn't cleared the bank and she let it out unofficially, that they were pretty sure they would refuse this request, due to a time frame issue.  They claim the policy needed to be in activation for five years to be converted.  I quickly spoke up and told them Mike had been with Goody's for 8 years.  They came back to me, saying Goody's didn't always have the same provider for that length of time.  She ended the conversation with me saying that the final decision would be decided by the manager, and I would receive a letter, or the return of our money.  I've done EVERYTHING they have asked me to do...and to end up with this.........  It's just exhausting!  What power do I have to go up against this kind of nonsense?!!  I'm just ready to lay it all down and walk away from it.  The stress from it all is just overwhelming me. 

On the medical insurance side of things, our caseworker is trying to work things out with approving Mike for speech therapy...although it feels more like she's just spinning her wheels and going nowhere.  I made another attempt to call this contact at the hospital and still was put into their voicemail and received no return call.  But...others are involving themselves, that might be able to help get something done..if nothing more than a return phone call.  I'm trying not to lose hope.

So...this is where we are at today.  We covet your prayers.