Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

4.27.2010

A Visit to Illinois

The Pump Organ

'Cece, Jaime, Roger, and Lila

I am back safely from my trip out of town.  I had a great time with my sister and her husbands family.  We went to his mom's family farm in Illinois.  She is preparing to move into an assisted living subdivision, and has sold the family home which sits on approximately 100 acres.  She is keeping most of the land to continue farming corn and beans, but has sold the family home and the property it sits on, along with a historical landmark red barn.  The home has been beautifully refurbished and was filled with such interesting pieces, such as a pedal pump organ, several old tools from the early 1900's, and lots of other antiques.

Roger, and my sister, Jaime, wanted me to see the farm before it was taken over by the new owners.  They also needed to go and choose several family heirlooms to be moved down to their home in Texas. 

It was amazing looking at all of the family history. The family photographs were in such wonderful condition.  I loved looking at each one.  Roger's mom, Lila, also told many funny, family stories.  We did a lot of laughing!  I was even taken by the family Lutheran church, and shown the family cemetary.  This family arrived from Germany and settled in this little town, in 1909.

As always, I enjoyed being above the clouds.  I feel such peace up there since losing Mike.  I had some exciting traveling weather, but had a safe trip and a wonderful time.  I hope to add some more pictures of the outside, as soon as my sister can get them off her husband's camera.

No comments: