Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

9.19.2010

A New Day

My time away to Florida this past week was something my heart, soul, and mind really needed.  I needed to see the ocean meet the sky; removing everything else in its path, to put life back into perspective.  I needed to feel the breeze on my face, to remind me I was still alive, and take in all that has past through my life the last three years. 

I thought a lot about everything....losing Mike, the adjustment to loss.  The struggles our family has gone through to survive.  What we're trying to hold on to.  What has been pried from our hands.  I have thought about the pain we have felt watching someone;  no...two people we loved dearly... leave us.  I stared off in deep thought. I cried hard.  I contemplated how to finish this course called Life.  It was a selfish trip, I'll admit, but one I desperately needed.

More than anything, I want to heal.  I need to for Mike.  I need to for Matt and Amber.   I need to for my children in law, and also for my grandchildren.  I need to complete the purpose God has for my life.   I need to figure out what is really important, and what isn't.  I need to learn how to go forward.  Borrowing a quote I heard while away...."You can't move forward if you're eyes are always looking in a rearview mirror." 

ALL of my memories of Mike are still with me.  ALL of his love is still in my heart.  ALL of the reminders of our life together, are still important...and will continue to bless me for the remainder of my life. 

Going forward is not disrespectful to his memory.  It is showing that his love was important enough to me, that I want to continue living, for my children and for my grandchildren.

I asked God for strength.  I asked God for forgiveness.  I asked God for direction.  I asked God for peace.  I asked God for His grace.  And He answered, "You've had it all along."

No comments: