Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

12.09.2010

Faith Keepers Christmas Party

So, last Saturday evening was our Faith Keepers Christmas party.  The food was DELICIOUS!!!!  Glenn opened his home for the event.  There he is guarding the chocolate dipped strawberries.  Dessert also included a huge ice cream cake! YUM YUM!

  I dusted off the old Gesture's game, which is quite a lot like charades.  The below photo, is Frieda, trying to act out a clue.  She surprised us right from the start, trying to act out a clue....such as belly dancing.  My mind was scrambling how to keep this game a G rated event.  She was a hoot!




Brooke and Shane were the youngsters of the group.  They played Gestures......but when it came to line dancing......hmmmm  :{



Joe and Brenda were very good acting out their parts.  I got the feeling they had some history playing these kind of games before.  For me....it took me forever to figure out my clues.  A couple of them would doze off...while they waited. (just kidding)  I kept trying to explain the hostess wasn't suppose to play the game...but they wouldn't let me use that excuse. 


Get a load of those sparks shooting from Glenn's head!  He was reenacting a lightening strike!  (Just kidding again!  I guess the camera was doing some kind of reflection thing off his TV.)

Obviously, Brenda found one of the clues embarrassing or outrageous!

So.......
Following Gestures, we decided to learn a little line dancing.  First we watched brief instructions on how to do the Electric Slide from a DVD I purchased...and then we added the Macarena.  I embarrassingly (is that another word I've just made up?) stayed in front of them to help them follow me...being I had been practicing for a couple of months.  How embarrassing!

The picture below is Frieda getting her groove thing on! 
You go girl!!!


And look what a good sport Joe was!  I hope he doesn't kill me later for posting this! Sorrrrrry Joe! :-)

 Glenn got a little camera crazy and caught me getting into the swing of things a little. 
The camera was taken away from him shorty there after!

It was a lot of fun and it's always special getting together with friends laughing.

God has taught me a lot this year.  To stand alone (a huge feat in itself).  To face the giant; my introverted-ness (if there is such a word).  To have courage to get out of my comfort zone.  To make my own happiness.
But most of all, He has brought sweet friends into my life, who know the Lord, and whom I greatly respect.  I empathize with them; as only widow or widowers can.  Trying to find a way to go on living without our loved ones, is much harder that I ever imagined.  The pain of that love lost, continually resonates through your daily life, in so many little reminders.  It takes awhile to accept your new reality and find your way to your "new normal." 

Lord, I trust you with all of my tomorrows.  I'm grateful You have placed so many dear friends and family in my pathway.  They have prayed with me.  Laughed with me.  Cried with me.  Help us all to continue fighting our way through this darkness.  Friends, I wish you all the best these next few months. 
Have a very blessed Christmas!!!

Beverly

No comments: