Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

10.10.2008

Keeping Us Guessing

(Updated)
Just as I joked about in yesterday's update; there's been another change. I think they want to keep us guessing down here. :)

We did go for the radiation simulation this afternoon as scheduled, but radiation treatments won't actually begin until Monday, October 20th. Instead, they want Mike to go ahead with having his biliary tubes replaced Monday at 1 p.m., and have the heart catherization on Wednesday morning, at Memorial Herman Hospital again. On this new schedule, it doesn't have us finished here until November 5th.

Mike has been in a lot of pain since the simulation today. On the CT/PET scanner, they had to stretch Mike completely out, with his arms up over his head, to lie still while they made a cast cradle form for his body, for when the treatments begin. Just following surgery, and with his biliary tubes and the newest incision, he was incredibly uncomfortable. They had to come and get me to help him sit up and it hurt to see him in so much pain. I pray all of this is worth it one day.

We have a minor issue we need to solve and could use your prayer about. Our hotel reservation is only through this coming Thursday. We have tried to explain the situation to the Rotary House, about Mike receiving radiation treatments until the November 5th, but they have told us they are booked. They told us to check day by day to see if there are any cancellations. Well, worrying about that isn't helpful. With Mike being in a wheelchair, and our not having a car, staying anywhere else is going to be more difficult. So we would appreciate your prayers that something will open up for us to remain here where we're at. (Prayer is already being answered. The Rotary has added four more days to our reservation and plan to keep adding days as cancellations come in. PTL!)

The Home Health Nurse came today and gave me a passing grade for changing Mike's wound. I didn't know when they were going to show up so I just jumped into gear and took care of it this morning. She came around noon and undid the dressing to doublecheck my job. They will be coming by everyday for the next two weeks, helping me out so I will only need to change it once daily. Thank you for praying me through this challenge. I don't think I would ever make a good nurse, but I now know how deep a wound can be without anything falling out. ;)

Mike and I are learning so much about faith in God, the depth of family love, and unconditional friendship. We are so fortunate to have so many dear people praying for us and caring about our situation. Thank you for being such a support to us.

"Because he cleaves to Me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows My name. When he calls to Me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will rescue him and honor him." Psalm 91:14-15

No comments: