Pages

In 2007, I began my original website, Sonshine's Haven. In 2007, it was turned into a blog and used to keep family updated on my first husband's fight with liver cancer. He passed away November of 2009. We were married for 34+ wonderful years and this journals some of that grief process I've gone through.

I have since remarried another widower, but Mike is missed dearly, and will always be a big part of my life.

At times, all of us will be called to act as witnesses to the suffering of another. We will be unable to affect the outcome physically. Words will fail us. Prayer will seem futile. And yet, the act of bearing witness to someone else's trials is a sacred sorrow that offers and astounding glimpse of eternal joy." by Ginger Garrett

"Being willing to stay with a loved one throughout their travail, can be difficult....YES! But offering yourselves as faithful companions on a dark and dreadful journey can be an unmeasured blessing." (paraphrased by me)

10.11.2008

A Shopping Run




Two of our friends from Houston, Jeff and Lisa, came to visit us today. Jeff use to work with Mike in Russellville over 10 years ago, and his sister now works for our daughter-in-law, Jill, in Russellville. While Mike and Jeff visited at the hotel, Lisa ran me up to the Super Target. I was able to pick up a few groceries, and a couple of other things. Our challenge was figuring out what we could pick up that could be cooked in a microwave, and fit into a tiny freezer sized for a couple of ice cube trays or a small refrigerator. We came out of the store fairly successful. Tonight we had some lasagna that wasn't half bad.

Mike felt pretty well today but is still moving around a little slowly. I think he's getting a little frustrated with his healing process, but to be fair, he's comparing things to how he use to recover when he was 30 years younger. I think it's going to take a little extra time, especially when they need to keep working on things like his incision, tubes, etc.

I snapped a couple of pictures of the view out our window this stay at MD Anderson. Being here longer than we wanted, I'm thankful to have such a large window to look out of and see a beautiful sky. I'm missing home a little bit. Yesterday it dawned on me that I hadn't been outside for 8 days. I've crossed the skybridge several times, and have "seen" the outside, but hadn't actually stepped outside with the air on my face. I'm hoping Mike and I can get outside tomorrow or sometime this coming week. There is a beautiful little walking garden, smack in the midst of all of these tall medical towers. To sit out there, makes you forget where you're at, and lifts the heart a little.

Mike's procedure to replace his biliary tubes, begins at noon on Monday, so please keep him in your prayers.

"Someday everything will make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears and keep reminding yourself everything happens for a reason." (This poem was written on a white board on the hospital floor Mike was on.)

No comments: